Thursday, February 09, 2023

Battle Of Edgehill Play-Through: Turn Five

Situation at the start of turn five
The battle is going well for the Parliamentarians, but I need at least one 6 to perform a rally. I roll one 6, two 5s, two 4s a 3 and a 1.
The 6 I allocate to the fleeing pikes, and the 5s to the cannon unit and the forward muskets. I re-roll the 4s, getting a 6 and a 1.
This leaves me with a 6, a 3 and two 1s to allocate. I could use the 6 to rally the demoralised cavalry, but they would be in grave danger from Royalists pikes and muskets, so instead I give them a 1, meaning they will have to flee.
The other 1 and 3 I give to the backward musket and cavalry units, and discard the 6 (technically allocating it to the left-flank pikes in the wood). 
Dice allocated
I accordingly rally the demoralised pikes and allow the demoralised cavalry to flee, leaving them two hexes, ie one turn, from exiting the battlefield.
The cannon unit fires at the enemy muskets on higher ground in its line-of-fire, getting exactly the 8 required for a hit.
The left-flank cavalry gingerly move forward one hex to keep out of the way of the nearby Royalist pikes, and the backward muskets also advance,
That leaves the other unit of muskets, which fires at the nearest enemy muskets, requiring 8+, reduced by 1 for having support from the other Parliamentarian musket unit. I roll 8, meaning the Royalist muskets are demoralised and retreat one hex.
It is looking good for the Parliamentary cause
Things take a turn for the worse for the AI when it fails to rally either of the demoralised musket units, meaning one retreats off the battlefield and the other reaches the battlefield edge.
The remaining musketeers at last advance down from the higher ground where they have spent the rest of the battle.
The right-flank pikes charge my pikes in the wood, meaning the normal 8+ becomes a 9+, but the AI rolls a 7.
The left-flank pikes chase after my fleeing cavalry.
The Royalists are short of units ... and of coordination

No comments:

Post a Comment