Sunday, February 05, 2023

Battle Of Edgehill Play-Through: Introduction & Turn One

HERE is my first play-through of a battle from Mike Lambo's solo wargaming book on the English Civil War.
In the Battle of Edgehill the human commands Parliamentarian forces, consisting of one cannon unit and two each of cavalry, muskets and pikes.
The AI commands the Royalists, consisting of one cannon unit, two of cavalry and three each of muskets and pikes.
As usual with my battles I will write it up turn-by-turn.
Looking from behind what will be the Parliamentarian lines
I have to set up my forces first, and I am going for a traditional layout with the cannon in the centre, cavalry on the wings and muskets flanked on the cavalry-side by pikes.
Pikes bristling with menace
The AI's set-up is decided by dice throws.
It too went for a fairly traditional layout with cavalry on the flanks and muskets protected by pikes, but with the left flank thrust further forward.
Ready for the off with the rival cannons eyeing each other down a central file
TURN ONE
I roll seven dice, one for each Parliamentary unit, getting two 6s, two 5s and three 3s.
I allocate a 6 to the cannon so it can fire, and re-roll the two 5s, hoping to get move orders (1-2-3 allow movement, 4-5-6 allow an attack). Unfortunately the re-rolls turn up a useless 6 and 5.
I allocate the three 3s to the two pike units and the right-flank cavalry.
Parliamentary dice allocated for turn one with the useless ones discarded
I start by firing the cannon at the Royalist cannon. There are no modifiers, so a simple 8+ is needed with two dice, and I roll 12, meaning the enemy cannon crew are demoralised and flee the field without firing a shot.
I then advance the two pike units, and bring the right-flank cavalry in touch with the right-flank pikes, but slightly behind them.
Situation after the first Parliamentary turn
Now the AI gets its chance.
The Royalist cannon is no more, so the left-flank cavalry is first into action. It has to roll a die, but a 1 means it does not move, perhaps shocked at the early demise of King Charles' artillery.
The other cavalry unit is made of sterner stuff, rolling a 3, meaning it moves two hexes towards the nearest enemy muskets.
Two of the Royalist musket units also advance, as do the two right-flank pike units, but the left-flank pike unit, like the adjacent left-flank cavalry, stays still.
Situation at the end of turn one (including me remembering to add the turn tracker - let's hope that is the only rule I forget)

No comments:

Post a Comment