Friday, September 15, 2023

Battle Of Roliça Part Two - French Playthrough: Turn Two

Situation at the end of turn one
My activation dice land 3, 2 and 1, so again I can activate the whole of my army.
I move Delaborde into the river so he is adjacent to the infantry in area 3. The artillery do not have a target and I choose not to move them.
The infantry in area 3 fire at the nearest allied infantry. My four dice are increased for being on higher ground and for being next to the commander, but I roll a disappointing 4, 3, two 2s and two 1s. The only good news is that the enemy unit does not have a retreat square, and so instead loses a strength point. My cavalry in area 3 stand still.
My three-strength infantry in area 1 advance to the edge of the hill and fire at the infantry ahead of them. My four dice are increased by being on higher ground but decreased for firing after moving. I roll 6, 5, 4 and 3, reducing the enemy to one-strength and forcing it back a hex. The tiebreaker for which hex to retreat to is resolved by option six, which is to move nearer to area 3. My one-strength infantry stand still.
The main body of the allies looks like the V formation of birds in flight
The AI rolls 5, 4, 3 and 2, meaning that all units apart from the one-strength infantry will be activated.
The infantry in the tress advance a hex and fire at my nearest infantry, their four dice being reduced for firing after moving. They roll two 3s and 2. The other infantry in area 2 also advance and fire at the same target, rolling 5, 4 and 1, reducing my unit to two-strength and forcing it back a hex. Wellesley advances into the trees, putting him adjacent to four units.
The two-strength infantry fire at my infantry on the central hill, their three dice being increased thanks to the presence of the general. They roll two 4s, 2 and 1, but the retreat dice are ignored because my men are next to General Delaborde. The three-strength infantry in area 3 advance into the trees and fire at the same target, their four dice being reduced for firing after moving. They roll 6, 5 and 2, causing my unit to lose two strength points. The artillery want to move obliquely forward but cannot as they can only do so if it puts them in range and line of sight of the enemy.
Both cavalry in area 4 advance two hexes, as do the cavalry units in area 5, except here, because they roll different numbers, the rearward unit moves forward obliquely instead of straight.
I have not lost a unit in the very early going, but two have been reduced to one-strength

No comments:

Post a Comment