Saturday, September 16, 2023

Battle Of Roliça Part Two - French Playthrough: Turn Three

Situation after turn two
My activation dice are 6 and two 5s. I reroll the 5s and get 6 and 2, meaning, thanks to the wildcard 6s, I can activate all my units.
I start by advancing the two-strength infantry to the edge of the hill, from where they fire at the further-forward allied infantry in area 2. My three dice are increased by being on higher ground, but decreased for firing after moving. I roll 5, 4 and 2, which, since the enemy unit has no retreat squares available, means it is is reduced to one-strength. My left-flank infantry also advance to the edge of the hill, and they fire at the same target, getting two dice after modifications for being on higher ground and for firing after moving. I roll a disappointing 3 and 2.
My artillery fire at the infantry to their front. My three dice are increased for being on higher ground, for being next to General Delaborde and for firing at closer than four hexes. The dice land 5, three 4s, 2 and 1, reducing the enemy unit to two-strength and sending it fleeing to the edge of battlefield. Delaborde stands still.
My cavalry charge the nearest allied cavalry. My four dice land two 5s, 2 and 1, reducing the enemy to one-strength. My right-flank infantry fire at the infantry directly to their front. My two dice are increased for being on higher ground and for being next to the commander. I roll a very disappointing 3, two 2s and 1.
My cavalry will do very well to survive the next half-turn
The AI's activation dice are two 3s, 2 and 1. One 3 is rerolled but becomes a worthless - to the AI - 6.
The infantry in area 1 roll 6, advancing a hex and firing at my left-flank infantry (chosen over the unit next to it for being further up the map). The two dice are reduced for firing after moving, but 5 is rolled, eliminating my unit.
The one-strength infantry in area 2 fire at my two-strength infantry (my cavalry are at the same range, but infantry prefer firing at other infantry). Their two dice are increased for being next to Sir Arthur Wellesley, and they roll 5, 4 and 2, reducing my unit to one-strength and forcing it back a hex. Wellesley remains in the trees, while the badly-shaken two-strength infantry advance a hex.
The infantry in trees in area 3 fire at my cavalry, rolling 4, 3 and 2, forcing my men back  a hex. The two-strength infantry in area 3 fire at my infantry in front of them, their three dice being increased thanks to the presence of Wellesley. They roll two 5s, 4 and 1, eliminating my unit. The artillery roll 4, but remain where they are as they cannot move straight down.
I have lost two units in one turn, although my bold cavalry survived unscathed

No comments:

Post a Comment