Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Battle Of Barrosa - Allied Playthrough: Turn Two

Situation at the end of turn one
My activation dice give me three 6s, so I change these into 3, 4 and 5, meaning I can again activate my whole army.
I start by getting the artillery to fire at the nearer unit of French cavalry. The two dice are increased by two for firing at short range, by one for being on higher ground and by another one for being next to General Graham, but decreased by one for the target being in trees. I roll 5, 4, two 3s and 1, so one hit (the 5) reduces the cavalry to two-strength, and the 4 means the cavalry have to fallback a hex.
My left-flank infantry advance and fire at the infantry behind the large wood. Their four dice are decreased for firing after moving and for firing through trees. The dice land 4 and 3, but the infantry do not have to retreat as they are adjacent to Marshal Victor. The other infantry in area 3 advance obliquely left.
In area 4 the infantry advance, but General Graham falls back obliquely left so as to be next to two friendly units.
In area 5 the infantry advance, but the cavalry pull back so as to occupy the higher-ground hex just vacated by the infantry.
The French right-hook looks ominous
The AI's activation dice give two 6s, 5 and 3. The 6s are rerolled, becoming 4 and another 5.
The infantry in area 3 roll 1 and so advance onto the hill to be nearer the objective hex, and then fire at the Allied artillery (a target preferred over infantry). Their three dice are decreased for firing after moving, but they roll two 5s, eliminating my two-strength artillery.
In area 4 the infantry roll 4, advancing straight down.
In area 5 both infantry units roll 6. The further-forward unit advances obliquely right to be nearer my furthest-advanced unit on the hill. The other French infantry unit also wants to get closer to my infantry, but the only hex it can reach that would do this is occupied by the unit that has just moved.
Losing the Allied artillery so quickly is a grievous blow

No comments:

Post a Comment