Sunday, February 11, 2024

Battle Of Talavera - French Playthrough: Turn Four


Situation at the end of turn three
My activation dice give me 2 and two 1s. I reroll a 1 but get another 1.
In area 2 my forward infantry fire at the Allied cavalry crossing the stream. Their three dice are increased for being next to the commander. I roll 4, 3, 2 and 1, forcing the enemy unit back a hex.
I now face a dilemma. If I move the other infantry in area 2 forward, and they fail to eliminate the Allied cavalry, or at least force them back a hex, the enemy unit could cross the Portiña in the Allied half-turn, and thus win the battle. I can prevent that for certain by moving my area-1 cavalry forward obliquely right two hexes, thus preventing the enemy unit from crossing. The latter might seem the obvious move, but it would probably only bring temporary relief, and there is always the chance the AI will not be able to activate units in area 2 this turn.
Eventually I decide to advance the infantry and fire at the Allied cavalry, the three dice being reduced for moving. I roll 5 and 3, reducing the cavalry to one-strength.
My cavalry in area 1 enter East Talavera.
The Allies are poised for a quick victory
The AI's activation dice are 5, 3 and two 1s. A 1 is rerolled, landing 4, so no Allied unit can cross the Portiña this turn, but I am not optimistic about the future.
In area 1 the infantry do not have line-of-sight to my cavalry as the buildings of West Talavera block them. Instead they roll a 6, meaning they enter West Talavera, and then fire at my men. Their three dice are reduced for moving and for the target being in cover, but they roll 5, reducing my unit to one-strength. The Allied cavalry roll 2, which has no effect as there is no enemy within three hexes.
In area 3 the infantry roll 1, advancing obliquely right to be nearer to my furthest-forward unit (the cavalry in Talavera). This means they block the line-of-sight of the Allied artillery, who would not have had a target anyway as there is high ground between them and the French commander. The artillery roll 2, moving obliquely left to put one of my units in line-of-sight and range. Sir Arthur Wellesley advances obliquely right (direction decided by tiebreaks) to place himself adjacent to three friendly units.
In area 4 the one-strength infantry fire at my cavalry on the high ground, rolling 4 and 3, forcing my unit back a hex and so off the high ground. The Allied cavalry roll 4, advancing two hexes into the stream. The two-strength infantry roll 4, but cannot move straight down.
In area 5 the infantry roll 4, moving straight down onto high ground.
Two Allied units, both cavalry, are capable of reach the east bank of the stream next turn

No comments:

Post a Comment