Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Battle Of Talavera - French Playthrough: Turn Seven

Situation at the end of turn six
My activation dice land 6, 4 and 2.
I change the wildcard 6 into 1, and start by sending my remaining cavalry to charge the Allied infantry in West Talavera. Their four dice are reduced for attacking from a stream hex and for the target being in cover, but I roll 6 and 1, reducing the enemy unit to two-strength.
In area 2 my infantry occupy East Talavera and fire at the same target, their three dice being reduced for moving and for the target being in cover. I roll 4, forcing the Allied unit to fall back a hex, abandoning West Talavera.
In area 4 my infantry climb high ground and fire at the Allied cavalry. Their three dice are increased for being on higher ground, but decreased for moving (I could have fired at the three-strength infantry, but want to eliminate the faster-moving unit). I roll 6 and two 2s, succeeding in my aim.
The Allies' best chance would seem to lie on my somewhat undermanned right 
The AI's activation dice give 5, two 3s and 1. A 3 is rerolled, but becomes another 3.
In area 1 the infantry have no one in line of sight, but roll 5, meaning they reoccupy West Talavera and attack my cavalry in the stream. Their two dice are increased for attacking at close range after moving, and they roll 6, 4 and 1, eliminating my unit. From turn seven onwards, activated Allied cavalry who have no one to attack, automatically move straight down (unless they can otherwise get across the stream), and so the cavalry in area 1 advance two hexes - it seems Sir Arthur Wellesley's pep talk worked!
The Allied artillery fire at my men on the central hillock, rolling 6 and two 2s, reducing my unit to two-strength.
In area 5 the infantry fire at my infantry, rolling two 6s and two 2s, reducing my unit to one-strength.
Both French flanks are under tremendous pressure

No comments:

Post a Comment