Friday, February 23, 2024

Battle of Barrosa - Allied Playthrough: Turn Five

Situation after turn four
My activation dice land 6, 5 and 3. By changing the wildcard 6 into 4 I can activate the whole Allied army.
In area 3 my three-strength infantry fire at the French cavalry. The three dice are increased for being on higher ground and for being next to General Graham. I roll 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1, reducing the enemy unit to two-strength and forcing it back into the wood (cover being preferred as a tiebreaker over open ground). My one-strength infantry advance along the hill so as to charge Marshal Victor. The two dice are increased for attacking at a range of one hex after moving, and I roll 6, 5 and 1, killing the French commander.
In area 4 General Graham advances two hexes. The forward infantry then charge the French infantry opposite them, their four dice being increased for attacking at a range of one hex after moving and for being next to the commander. I roll three 6s, 5, 4 and 1, well and truly eliminating the French unit. The other infantry occupy the dark-square objective hex (I win if I have a unit occupying it at the end of turn 10).
In area 5 the cavalry charge the remaining French left-flank unit, rolling 6, 5, two 3s and 1, eliminating the one-strength enemy.
The French left flank has ceased to exist
The AI's activation dice land 6, 5, 3 and 2. Since the French commander has been killed, the 6 is not rerolled. That means only units in area 2 will be activated, but that covers all surviving French units, apart from the artillery.
The French cavalry can attack two Allied infantry units, but choose the one-strength unit as it is nearer the objective hex. The dice land 6, 3 and 2, eliminating my unit. The forward infantry roll 1, which only has an effect if the objective hex is vacant. The other infantry roll 3, but they cannot, as required, move straight down.
French fortunes have nosedived

No comments:

Post a Comment