Saturday, February 03, 2024

Battle Of Talavera - Allied Playthrough: Turn Eight

Situation at the end of turn seven
My activation dice are two 6s and 3. I turn the wildcard 6s into 5 and 4, meaning my whole army can be activated.
In area 5 the forward infantry advance obliquely left and charge the artillery. The two dice are increased for meleeing after moving, but I roll 3, 2 and 1. Sir Arthur Wellesley advances a hex so, when the further-forward right-flank infantry advance and fire at the artillery, he can support them. The infantry's two dice are increased for being next to the commander, but decreased for moving. I roll two 1s. The other infantry enter Talavera.
In area 4 the infantry advance and charge the artillery, their two dice being increased for meleeing after moving, and I roll 6, 5 and 2, eliminating the artillery.
In area 3 the forward cavalry cross the high ground and charge the French directly in front of them. The six dice are decreased by three for the infantry being in square, and I get 5, 4 and 3, reducing the French unit to one-strength (the 4 has no effect as infantry in square do not retreat, and anyway the unit is supported by the French commander). My other cavalry charge the two-strength infantry immediately in front of the French commander, their five dice landing 6, 5, 4, 3 and 1, eliminating the French unit.
The Allies now have seven units east of the River Tagus, while the French have just six remaining 
If my advantage in number of units east of the Tagus holds till the end of turn 10, I will have won the battle.
The AI's activation dice are 6, two 4s and 2. The 6 and a 4 are rerolled, landing 6 and 3.
In area 2 the forward infantry form square, because they are within three hexes of enemy cavalry, and fire at my two-strength cavalry. Their three dice are decreased by two for being in square (my amendment to the rules allows for a 50:50 chance of -1 or -2). The die lands 2. The two-strength infantry also form square, and fire at the cavalry further up, which are in the trees. The two dice are decreased for the target being in cover and for being in square (50:50 chance over -2), but increased for being next to the French commander. The die lands 4, forcing my unit back a hex. The other infantry also form square.
In area 3 the infantry fire at the Allied infantry next to them, their two dice being increased for being next to the French commander, but decreased by one (usual 50:50 chance). The dice land 5 and 4, reducing my unit to one-strength and forcing it back a hex.
The commander stays where he is as he cannot move to be adjacent to more friendly units.
Four units in square is easily a record for my refights from Battles Of Napoleonic Europe

No comments:

Post a Comment