Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Battle Of Corunna - British Playthrough: Turn Six

Situation at the end of turn five
My activation dice are all wildcard 6s, which I turn into 3, 4 and 5.
I start by firing my artillery at the infantry in their line-of-sight beyond the river. The three dice are increased for being on higher ground, and I roll two 5s and two 1s, reducing the French unit to one-strength.
The forward infantry in area 5 move obliquely left, the other infantry in area 5 advance directly forward, and Sir John Moore moves forward to support the unit in Elviña.
The infantry in Elviña fire at the two-strength French in the river hex, their three dice being increased thanks to the presence of the commander. I roll 5, 4 and two 1s, reducing the enemy unit to one-strength and forcing it back along the river (chosen by tiebreaker for being in range and line-of-sight of a British unit).
The three-strength infantry in area 4 advance and fire at the same French unit, the four dice being decreased for moving. I roll 4, 2 and 1, forcing the French further up the river. The two-strength infantry in area 4 hold fast.
The British position looks solid
The AI's activation dice are two 6s, 4 and 1. The 6s are rerolled, becoming 2 and another 1.
From this turn on, French infantry, if not in attack range of the enemy, automatically move towards Sir John Moore, so both infantry in area 1 advance obliquely left and fire at my artillery. The three-strength's three dice are decreased for moving, but they land 5 and 1, reducing my unit to one-strength. The one-strength's two dice are similarly decreased, but the result is 4, which forces my unit off the high ground.
The French cavalry roll 6, which moves them also obliquely left, and Marshal Soult moves in the same direction so as to be adjacent to two friendly units.
There are no French in area 4, so the turn ends.
My artillery have been forced off the hill, but are perfectly placed to deliver a devastating short-range salvo

No comments:

Post a Comment