Monday, January 15, 2024

Battle Of Corunna - French Playthrough: Setup & Turn One

ONE thing I am beginning to notice is that I seem to be better in a scenario where I can defend, waiting for the AI to advance towards me.
Certainly my most convincing win, which came in the British playthrough of the Battle of Corunna, was one such scenario.
Now I have the very different task of commanding the French in the same battle.
I cannot fight a defensive battle this time as I only win if I eliminate the British commander, Sir John Moore.
The French start below the blue dashed line*
My force, in addition to Marshal Soult, has five units of infantry and one each of cavalry and artillery.
I know Sir John will start near the top of area 2 or 3, and, from looking at the AI's setup instructions, most of the British units will likely start opposite my left flank rather than my right.
I hope to land a powerful right-hook
The AI gets Sir John Moore, seven units of infantry and one of artillery.
The AI's formation is determined by dice throws, albeit with quite heavy restrictions on where units could end up
As usual I will write up the battle as it goes along.
TURN ONE
My activation dice are two 6s and 5. I change the wildcard 6s into 4 and 3, meaning I can activate the whole French army.
I order a general advance, but without allowing the cavalry to rush ahead.
Setting my army up so it has to cross a river may not have been the brightest move
The AI gets 6, 5, 4 and 2. The 6 is rerolled, but lands 5.
The forward infantry in area 2 roll 3, but that only has an effect if not already on high ground. The other infantry in area 2 roll 4, which requires them to move straight up, ie to the top edge of the battlefield.
The forward infantry in area 4 roll 4, but cannot move straight up and so hold their ground. The other infantry in area 4 roll 6, which requires them to move obliquely forward towards the nearest French unit.
A quiet first turn, but not without interest
*The high-ground hexes marked A show possible starting positions for the British artillery.

No comments:

Post a Comment