Monday, January 29, 2024

Battle Of Talavera - Allied Playthrough: Turn Three

Situation at the end of turn two
My activation dice land 5, 4 and 1. I reroll the 1, getting 3.
I start with the simple decision, ie to advance my infantry in area 4.
My forward infantry in area 5 complete crossing the Tagus, and enter east-bank Talavera (the map is drawn with north on the left), and fire at the nearest French infantry, The four dice are reduced for moving and for firing through trees, but I roll two 5s, reducing the enemy unit to one-strength, The other infantry in area 5 advance a hex.
My artillery have few prospects where they are - why did I place them on a row of hexes containing high ground? - so I take a risk and advance them onto the high ground by the woodland. Artillery cannot move and fire, but they should have juicy targets next turn if they can survive this turn. I advance Sir Arthur Wellesley to behind the artillery, and then advance the area-3 infantry so they can fire at the French opposite. Their four dice are decreased for moving, but increased for being next to the commander. I roll 5 and three 3s, reducing the enemy unit to two-strength.
The AI's activation dice give 6, two 3s and 2. The 6 and a 3 are rerolled, becoming two 4s.
The area-2 infantry advance, albeit the further-back unit doing so obliquely. The French commander advances two hexes obliquely left so as to support three French infantry units.
In area 3 the forward infantry fire at my artillery, their three dice being decreased for firing through trees, but increased for being next to the commander. The result is 6 and two 3s, reducing my artillery to one-strength (whoops - I had the counter mistakenly showing one-strength from the start). The two-strength infantry also fire at my artillery, their two dice being affected as for their colleagues. The result is 4 and 3, but my artillery do not retreat (normally required when 4 is rolled), thanks to support from the British commander.
In area 4 the one-strength infantry fire at my artillery, their two dice being increased for firing through trees, and they roll 1. The other infantry cannot, as instructed, move straight down. The artillery fire at
my infantry in their line-of-sight, the three dice being reduced for firing through trees. They roll 3 and 1.
My artillery has survived (for now), albeit reduced in strength, but artillery is surely too valuable to lead an attack

No comments:

Post a Comment