Thursday, January 18, 2024

Battle Of Corunna - French Playthrough: Turn Four

Situation at the end of turn three
I roll two 6s and 5, which, by changing the wildcard 6s into 3 and 4, allow me to activate all my units.
My cavalry charge the British infantry guarding the gap between the two sets of high ground near Coruña. The six dice are increased for being on higher ground. I roll 6, two 5s, two 4s, 3 and 1, eliminating the infantry.
The forward infantry in area 5 advance obliquely left and fire at the British artillery, their three dice being reduced for moving and for being in a river hex. I roll 1. The other infantry in area 5 advance.
The area-4 infantry in the river hex also fire at the British artillery, their three dice decreased for attacking from the river. I roll 3 and 2. The furthest-back infantry in area 4 also enter the river and fire at the artillery, getting one die as they have moved and are in a river hex. I roll 2. The other infantry in area 4 stand fast, and Marshal Soult advances a hex.
My artillery hold their position.
The French infantry are poised to cross the river
The AI's four dice are two 3s, 2 and 1. There is no need to reroll a 3 as all the British units are in areas 1-3.
The infantry in area 1 roll 6, advancing obliquely left.
The forward infantry in area 2 also advance obliquely left and fire at the further-forward French infantry in range, their four dice being decreased for moving. They roll two 6s and 4, reducing my unit to one-strength (the 4 is ignored because Marshal Soult is in the vicinity). The other infantry in area 2 stand still.
The British artillery fire at my infantry in their line-of-sight in the river, the three dice being increased by two for firing at short range. The dice land 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1, reducing my unit to two-strength and forcing it obliquely back.
The infantry by Coruña form square and then fire at my cavalry. Their two dice are increased for being next to Sir John Moore, but decreased by two (infantry in square in my amendment to the rules get a -1 or -2 modifier, decided by a 50:50 die throw). However the one die lands 6, reducing my cavalry to two-strength.
Sir John Moore rolls 2, meaning he should move straight up, but cannot without leaving the battlefield and so stays still.
It has been a promising start for the French, but a lot may depend on the cavalry getting to Sir John, as the French infantry are lagging behind

No comments:

Post a Comment