Friday, November 03, 2023

Battle Of Vimeiro - French Playthrough: Turn Seven

Situation after turn six
My activation dice land 6, 5 and 2. I reroll the 5, getting a second wildcard 6. I turn the 6s into a 3 and 4, meaning I can activate all my troops.
I start by firing my infantry in area 4. Their four dice are increased by being next to General Junot. I roll 6, 5, 3, 2 and 1, eliminating the Allied infantry opposite them. Junot ascends the hill and moves beside the artillery and the one-strength French infantry. The cavalry move behind the general.
The infantry in area 2 ascend onto higher ground and fire at the infantry opposite them. Their four dice are decreased for firing after moving but increased for being adjacent to the commander (there is no bonus for being on high ground as it is not higher than the ground the target is on). I roll 6, two 5s and 1, eliminating the one-strength infantry on Vimeiro Hill.
The artillery and one-strength French infantry remain where they are.
The Anglo-Portuguese are in position to occupy Vimeiro first, and to do so with a full-strength unit, but my artillery are well-placed to punish them
The AI's activation dice are 4, two 2s and 1. A 2 is rerolled, but becomes a useless 6.
The infantry on Vimeiro Hill advance and fire at the nearest French infantry. Their four dice are reduced for firing after moving, and they roll 5, 3 and 2, reducing my unit to two-strength. The cavalry roll 2, meaning they move adjacent to my artillery after passing through Vimeiro. But once there their preference is to attack infantry. They roll 5, 3, two 2s and two 1s, reducing my two-strength infantry to one-strength.
The forward infantry in area 4 roll 1, meaning they advance vertically towards Vimeiro and then want to fire at my artillery (preferred as a target over infantry). But the two dice they get as one-strength infantry firing at artillery are cancelled by having moved and being in a river hex, and the situation is the same for their second choice of target, my right-flank infantry. The other infantry in area 4 advance and fire at my right-flank infantry. Their two dice are decreased for firing after moving but increased for being on higher ground. They roll 4 and 2, sending my unit back a hex.
The Allied army is outnumbered 6-5 in units and 11-10 in strength points, but is making a spirited defence of Vimeiro

No comments:

Post a Comment