Friday, March 03, 2023

Hopton Heath Play-Through: Turn Five

Situation at the end of turn four
My six dice give me two 6s, a 5, a 4, a 2 and a 1. I could not have asked for a better throw as the 6s will rally the two pike units, the 5 and 4 will let the muskets fire and the move-orders will go to the horse.
I fire the rear muskets first. They need 8+ to hit the forward pikes, reduced by two thanks to support from muskets and pikes. I roll a stupendous 11, demoralising the Royalist pikes and forcing them to flee the battlefield.
My other muskets fire at the surviving forward pikes, needing 8+, reduced by two thanks to support from pikes and horse. I roll exactly the 6 needed.
I advance my backward horse, but basically move the other horse sideways to keep them out of range of the bodyguard muskets.
The Parliamentary cause is surely in the ascendancy
The further forward artillery fire at my forward pikes, requiring 8+, reduced by one thanks to musket support, and the roll is exactly the 7 needed.
The other artillery fire at my other pikes, rolling 8, which is not enough as they are shooting through trees.
The fleeing Royalist cavalry rally in the nick of time.
The right-flank muskets fire at my demoralised pikes, needing 8+, reduced by one thanks to artillery support, but roll 5.
The bodyguard muskets move into the tress in front of the earl, which gives him greater protection and makes the muskets harder to hit.
The demoralised pikes fail to rally and so flee the battlefield as there is no space for them to fall straight back two hexes. The remaining pikes stand still.
It feels as if I do not have to rush, but the clock is ticking and it questionable if many of my foot units will be in time to help decide matters

No comments:

Post a Comment