Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Hopton Heath Play-Through: Turn Three

Situation at the end of turn two
My six dice give me two 6s, a 5, a 4, a 3 and a 2. I reroll the 6s, getting another 6 and a 3.
I allocate the 6 to the pikes adjacent to the Royalist horse, and I give move orders to both my cavalry units and one musket unit.
I start by moving the muskets, and then use my pikes to attack the further-forward Royalist horse, requiring 7+, reduced by one thanks to mounted support and a further one thanks to support from muskets. I roll 7, demoralising the Royalists and forcing them to flee two hexes.
I next move my left-flank horse into the trees adjacent to both Royalist horse units, and attack the unit further back, requiring 8+, but I roll 7.
My other cavalry move right and then charge the already demoralised enemy cavalry, requiring 8+, reduced by two for support from cavalry and muskets and a further one for the attackers being demoralised. I roll 6, meaning the enemy cavalry are destroyed.
First blood to the Parliamentarians, weakening the Royalist left flank
The further-right artillery misses its target by a large margin. The other artillery fires at my cavalry in the trees, requiring 9+, increased by one thanks to the cavalry being in cover, but reduced by two thanks to support from Royalist cavalry and the earl's bodyguard-musketeers. That means 8 is needed, but the roll is 7.
The cavalry attack my cavalry in the trees, requiring 8+, increased by one thanks to the trees but reduced by two thanks to support from artillery and muskets. The roll is 10, demoralising my cavalry and forcing them to flee to the edge of the battlefield.
Neither musket unit moves, but two of the pike units advance.
A good half-turn for the Royalists, especially if I fail to rally my fleeing horse next turn

No comments:

Post a Comment