Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Sourton Down Play-Through: Turn Four

Situation at the end of turn three
My six dice - I have lost a unit - give me 5, two 4s, 3, 2 and 1. I reroll the 4s, but get two 6s.
I allocate a 5 to the lefthand muskets, and give move orders to the three units nearest them.
First I move up the righthand muskets so they can give support to my planned attack on the furthest-forward Royalist pikes, which I then charge with my lefthand horse.
Cavalry attacking pikes require 9+ for a hit, in this case reduced by three thanks to support from two units of muskets and one of horse, all of whom are within attack distance of the pikes.
I roll 8, demoralising the pikes and forcing them back two hexes (the difference between my required roll and what I actually threw).
My central horse take a gamble and charge the Royalist pikes by the trees, needing 9+, reduced to 6+ thanks to support from two units of horse and one of muskets. I roll 7, demoralising the pikes and forcing them back a hex.
The Parliamentarians have had some small but much-needed success
The righthand artillery has no target, while the lefthand artillery rolls 8, which would normally be one less than the score needed to hit cavalry, but thanks to support from three units of muskets, only 6 is needed, so the cavalry are demoralised and flee to the edge of the battlefield.
The furthest-forward muskets fire at my remaining pikes - their preferred target over equally near horse - but roll 6, two less than needed. The other muskets stand firm.
One unit of demoralised pikes flees to the edge of the battlefield, but the other rallies on a throw of 5 (the minimum needed), and the remaining pikes advance.
The Royalist army seems to have recovered some of its shape

No comments:

Post a Comment