Thursday, March 02, 2023

Hopton Heath Play-Through: Turn Four

Situation at the end of turn three
My six dice give me one each of every possibility. I use the 6 to rally the demoralised horse, give the 5 to the forward muskets and give the move orders to the other horse, the further-forward pikes and the rear muskets.
Moving the muskets is straightforward, and I use the forward pike to charge the furthest forward Royalist pikes, requiring 8+, reduced by one thanks to support from muskets. However I roll 4, and immediately regret putting the pikes in such a vulnerable position.
My forward muskets fire at the same Royalist pikes, requiring 8+, reduced by one thanks to pike-support. I roll 9, demoralising the pikes and forcing them back two hexes.
With my forward cavalry I take a risk and charge the Royalist cavalry, requiring 8+, which is exactly what I get.
The battle feels in the balance
The further-forward artillery again misses, but the other cannon unit rolls 9, exactly what is needed when firing through trees at my pikes.
The Royalist cavalry fail to rally, fleeing to the edge of the battlefield.
The right-flank muskets advance into the adjacent trees, and the earl's bodyguard muskets fire at my forward cavalry, requiring 9+ but rolling 8.
The furthest forward pikes attack my undemoralised pikes, moving in such a way that they have left space for another pike unit to also attack. A roll of 8+, reduced by one thanks to musket support, is needed, but the result is a 4.
The other undemorlaised Royalist pikes then join in the attack, receiving support from pikes and muskets, and just get the 6 needed.
There is further good news for the Royalists when their fleeing pike unit rallies.
Two of my units are fleeing, but the earl continues to look vulnerable 

No comments:

Post a Comment