Thursday, March 23, 2023

Sourton Down Play-Through: Turn Five

Situation at the end of turn four
My six dice give me three 4s, 3, 2 and 1. I desperately need a 6 - the only score that will rally a human player's demoralised unit - so I reroll the 4s, getting a 6 and two more 4s.
I duly rally the demoralised horse, and move the lefthand horse away from the pikes opposite them and towards the furthest-forward Royalist muskets.
My righthand muskets advance, and the righthand horse charge the nearest enemy muskets, entering wood to do so, which will give cover when the Royalists respond.
The horse need 6+, reduced by two thanks to support from units of horse and muskets. I roll 10, sending the muskets fleeing from the battlefield.
Halfway through the battle - it is not looking good for the Parliamentarian cause
The righthand artillery shoot at my horse in their line-of-fire, needing 9+, increased by one thanks to intervening trees, but decreased by one as there is support from muskets. They roll 11, demoralising my men and forcing them back two hexes to the edge of the battlefield.
The other artillery miss, rolling three short of 8+ needed to hit muskets.
The Royalist muskets in trees fire at my horse in trees, requiring 10+ thanks to the horse being in cover, but reduced by three thanks to support from muskets and two units of pikes. They roll exactly the 7 needed to demoralise my men.
The other unit of muskets fires with the same parameters, rolling a resounding 12 and so destroying my horse (a hit on a demoralised unit is always fatal).
Only one unit of pikes advances, but the demoralised pikes rally on a throw of 5, narrowly avoiding fleeing the battlefield.
Situation at the end of turn five

No comments:

Post a Comment