Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sourton Down Play-Through: Turn Eight

Situation at the end of turn seven
My five dice give me 6, 4, 3 and two 2s.
I use the 6 to rally the fleeing muskets, and give move orders to all except the other unit of muskets.
The righthand horse charge the nearer enemy muskets, needing 6+, reduced by one thanks to support from pikes. I roll 7, forcing the muskets to flee to the edge of the battlefield.
My pikes advance, so they can give support when the lefthand horse charge the muskets in the trees. Cavalry charging muskets normally need 6+, but here it is increased by one thanks to the defenders being in cover, but reduced by two thanks to support from pikes and the other horse unit. I roll 9, forcing the muskets off the battlefield.
Five units each
The righthand artillery need 9+ to hit the horse in their line-of-fire, increased by one thanks to intervening trees, but reduced by one thanks to support from pikes. The AI rolls 11, demoralising my horse and forcing them back two hexes.
The other artillery fail to get the 8+ needed to hit my further-forward muskets.
The surviving, but demoralised Royalist muskets, fail to rally and so flee the battlefield.
The righthand pikes advance towards my good-order horse, who are promptly charged by the other pikes.
It is 50-50 whether the charging pikes do so by advancing down the map or obliquely right. A die mandates the latter, which is a smart move as it leaves room for the other pike unit to lend support.
Pikes attacking horse require 7+, reduced by one thanks to the support. The AI rolls 7, demoralising my horse and forcing them back a hex.
I fear the Parliamentarian ambush has passed its high-water mark

No comments:

Post a Comment