Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Seacroft Moor Play-Through: Introduction & Turn One

THE Battle of Seacroft Moor was fought in the West Riding of Yorkshire in March 1643.
A Royalist force, mainly composed of cavalry under Lord George Goring, defeated a Parliamentary force, largely composed of musketeers and inexperienced pikemen, under Sir Thomas Fairfax.
In Mike Lambo's English Civil War book the human player commands the Royalists, having four units of horse, two of muskets and one of pikes.
I have positioned my cavalry to the fore
Dice throws decide where the AI's forces start.
The Parliamentarian foot are screened - to an extent - by their heavily outnumbered horse
To win I have to remove or demoralise all enemy units before the end of turn 10, and as usual I will write up the battle turn by turn.
TURN ONE
My seven dice give me two 5s, two 4s, a 2 and two 1s. I re-roll the 4s, getting another 4 and a 2.
I use the four move orders to advance on my right flank, keeping out of range of the enemy horse, except for one unit I put in trees.
I could have simply charged forward with all my cavalry, but I suspect I will need the Royalist foot to play its part
The left-flank Parliamentarian horse charge my advanced horse, requiring 8+, increased by one thanks to the trees, but roll a 5. The right-flank horse advance around the trees in front of them.
Two of the Parliamentarian musket units advance, as do the right-flank pikes.
A cagey turn one, not least thanks to the absence of cannons

No comments:

Post a Comment