Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Battle of Roliça - Allied Playthrough: Turn Two

Situation at the start of turn two (with all counters the right way up)
My three dice give me 6, 3 and 1. I am happy with the 3, but reroll the 1, getting a 2, and I change the 'wildcard' 6 to a 4, meaning I can activate units in the three central sectors, which is all of my army bar the cavalry.
I start by firing my artillery, which has a range of six hexes, at the French infantry on the high ground in front of them. Full-strength artillery firing at infantry get three dice, and in this case there are no modifiers to increase or decrease the number. Each 5 or 6 rolled means a hit, reducing the target's strength by one, and each 4 usually means the target retreats by a hex, although there are exceptions where this does not apply including, as is the case here, when a unit is adjacent to the commander. I roll 6, 4 and 1, meaning the French infantry unit is reduced to two-strength (hits are always acted on first) and then retreats a hex.
Next my infantry in area 2 fire at the cavalry sheltering in trees. Full-strength infantry firing at cavalry roll three dice. Here that is increased by one for the firers being next to the commander, but reduced by one because the cavalry are in cover. I roll 6, 3 and 2, meaning the cavalry are reduced to two-strength.
The leading infantry unit in area 4 also fire at the cavalry in trees. Their three dice are reduced by one thanks to the cover, and my roll of 3 and 2 is no good.
The right-flank infantry in area 3 advance a hex and fire at the same cavalry. Their three dice are reduced by one thanks to the cover and a further one thanks to firing after moving. I roll 5, reducing the cavalry to one-strength.
My other infantry in area 3 advance a hex and attack the cavalry. Their three dice are reduced by one thanks to the cover but increased by one for attacking at a range of one hex after moving (this is regarded as meleeing).  I roll two 6s and 2, eliminating the French unit.
Finally I advance my commander one hex and similarly advance my previously unactivated infantry in area 4.
First-blood has gone to the allies, who are streaming across the river
The AI's four dice are 6, 3 and two 1s. The 6 and one 1 are rerolled, giving 4 and 1, meaning the AI will activate all its units except those in area 2.
The AI's units are always activated numerically by area, with the furthest-forward unit in an area taking precedence over units further back.
That means the French right-flank cavalry are first. They cannot attack anyone, so a die is rolled. It shows 5, which means no effect as 5-6 only have an effect after turn two.
The artillery have no one to attack, and a die roll comes up 3. That means they should move obliquely downwards, but that is impossible as cavalry occupy that hex.
Moving on to area 3, the further-forward infantry fire at the further-forward allied infantry in range. Full-strength infantry firing at infantry get four dice, but one is added as the French are on higher ground. The result is 6, 5, 3 and two 1s, reducing the allied unit to a strength of one.
The other infantry in area 3 roll a 3, meaning they move onto higher ground, and they do this obliquely to their right as they puts them within range and line-of-sight of my battered infantry unit, which they immediately attack. Their four dice are increased by one through being on higher ground and another one for being next to the French commander, but reduced by one for firing after moving. The five dice give 6, two 3s and two 2s, which is just enough to eliminate my one-strength unit.
The infantry in area 4 roll a 1, meaning: "If Objective is vacant Move nearer to it." Technically the unit cannot move any nearer as it is already adjacent to the objective hex, but I have taken the intent of the instruction to be that the objective hex should be occupied.
The French are occupying the high ground, while keeping in a compact mass

No comments:

Post a Comment