Monday, July 03, 2023

First Newbury Play-Through: Turn Four

Situation at the end of turn three
My six dice - I lost a unit last turn - give me 6, two 4s, two2s and 1. I take a chance and reroll the 4s, getting what I wanted: an attack die (6) and a move one (3).
Dice allocated
I start by moving the central units obliquely forward to their right.
Then my right-flank muskets fire at the foremost Royalist pikes, needing 8+, reduced to 5+ thanks to support from horse, pikes and muskets, but I roll 4.
My right-flank horse charge the same pikes, needing 9+, reduced to 6+ thanks to support from two units of muskets and one of pikes, and I roll exactly 6.
My left-flank muskets fire at the nearest Royalist pikes, needing 8+ (firing at the nearest Royalist muskets would have required 9+ thanks to firing through trees), reduced by one thanks to support from the central muskets, but I roll 5.
The left-flank pikes advance into the trees beside them.
The Royalists face a critical half-turn
The artillery, not having a target, move one hex on to the hill.
One of the cavalry units rallies but the other exits the battlefield.
The right-flank Royalist muskets fire at my pikes in the trees, needing 7+ since the protection of the trees is more than cancelled by support from another unit of muskets and a unit of pikes, but they roll 4.
The central muskets fire at my same unit of muskets, also needing 7+, and roll 9, demoralising my men and sending them back two hexes.
The left-flank muskets fire at my horse, needing 8+ thanks to support from horse, but roll 4.
The demoralised Royalist pikes fail to rally, and the other pikes stand still, the rearward ones because, although they roll 4, they cannot get nearer to the Parliamentarian horse, which is what they want to do.
The Royalists seem well-placed to prevent any Parliamentarians exiting the top of the map

No comments:

Post a Comment