Saturday, July 29, 2023

Battle of Roliça - French Playthrough: Turn Eight

Situation at the end of turn seven
My three dice give 3, 2 and 1. I reroll the 1 and 3 (the artillery have no target), but get two more 3s.
My cavalry attack the infantry next to them, but the four dice land a very disappointing two 2s and two 1s.
I could move the artillery, but since guns cannot move and fire in the same turn, they might as well be left where they are.
The AI's four dice are 4, 3, 2 and 1.
The further-forward infantry in area 1 fire at my cavalry, getting two dice (there is no bonus die for infantry at range one unless they have moved that turn and are therefore charging into a melee). The dice land 4 and 3, forcing my unit back onto the ridge. The other infantry in area 1 roll 5, meaning they move forward a hex and fire at my artillery. Their two dice are reduced by one for firing after moving, and they roll 1.
The allied artillery fire at my cavalry, their two dice being reduced by one for firing through trees. But they roll 5, eliminating my unit.
The cavalry in area 4 attack my infantry on the ridge, rolling four dice, scoring 6, 5 and two 2s, reducing my unit to one-strength.
The infantry in area 4 fire at the same unit. Their four dice are increased by one thanks to being adjacent to Wellesley but reduced by one for firing through trees. They roll 6, 5, 4 and 2, eliminating my unit.
Wellesley advances two hexes towards the objective hex, but straight down rather than obliquely, and this puts him adjacent to the allied cavalry and an infantry unit.
The French position is collapsing rapidly

No comments:

Post a Comment