Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Battle Of Roliça - French Playthrough: Turn Five

Situation at the end of turn four
My three dice are 5 and two 3s. Since all my units are in area 3, there is no need to reroll.
I start by using the infantry on the objective hex to fire at the nearer allied cavalry. My three dice land 6, 4 and 1, thus eliminating the one-strength enemy unit.
My cavalry climb up onto the ridge and charge the other allied cavalry unit. My four dice give me 5, two 3s and 2, also eliminating the enemy unit.
Delaborde advances so he is in position to give encouragement to all the French units, except for the infantry on the low ground, who fire at the two-strength allied infantry. My four dice give me 6, two 2s and 1, reducing the enemy to one-strength.
My artillery fire obliquely to their left at a three-strength allied infantry unit. The three dice are increased by one through being on higher ground, another one through being next to the commander and two more for firing at short range. My seven dice give me two 5s, 4, two 3s and two 1s, reducing the enemy to one-strength and forcing them back a hex.
It has been a decent half-turn for the French cause, but the Anglo-Portuguese are bound to keep on coming 
The AI's four dice are two 6s and two 3s. All but one 3 are rerolled, giving 5 and two 4s, meaning the left-flank allied column will at last be completely activated this turn.
The infantry in area 3 fire at my nearer infantry, their two dice giving them 4 and 1, forcing my men back onto the ridge.
The further-forward cavalry roll 4, meaning they advance directly two hexes and attack the infantry that have just fallen back. Their six dice give them 5, two 3s and three 1s. reducing my unit to two-strength. The other allied cavalry roll 5, meaning they also advance two hexes and attack the same infantry unit. Their six dice are two 4s, 3 and three 1s, causing my unit to retreat to the edge of the battlefield.
The infantry in area 4 advance a hex, as does Wellesley, putting him next to, at least temporarily, two friendly units.
Both infantry units in area 5 advance.
The allied right-flank column is depleted but still dangerous, while the cavalry of the left-flank column have just started to make their presence felt

No comments:

Post a Comment