Sunday, July 23, 2023

Battle Of Roliça - French Playthrough: Turn Two

Situation at the end of turn one*
My three dice are 3 and two 2s. I reroll one of the 2s, but get a 3.
I start by advancing the units in area 3 onto the ridge. The artillery are now in line-of-sight and range of one of the allied cavalry units, but artillery cannot move and fire.
My infantry in area 2 climb onto the ridge and fire at the further-forward allied cavalry. Full-strength infantry firing at cavalry get three dice, increased by one here thanks to being on higher ground, but decreased by one through firing after moving. I roll two 6s and a four, meaning the cavalry are reduced to one-strength and fall back a hex.
My cavalry in area 2 advance onto the ridge, and Delaborde advances two hexes so he is supporting, ie is adjacent to, the artillery and two infantry units.
The French are heavily outnumbered, but occupy a strong position that may need coordinated action to successfully assault*
The AI's four dice are 6, two 3s and 1. The 6 and a 3 are rerolled, giving 2 and another 6, so again the allies' right-flank column will activate but the left will stand still.
The three-strength cavalry in area 1 roll 5, meaning they move two hexes straight down and attack my left-flank cavalry. Full-strength cavalry attacking cavalry get four dice. They roll 6, 5, 4 and 1, meaning my cavalry are reduced to one-strength and fall back a hex.
The other cavalry in area one advance obliquely two hexes towards the objective, and both infantry units advance.
The artillery roll 2, which means they stand still as they cannot advance and put an enemy unit in range, and the infantry in area 3 advance.
I am fortunate the allies are attacking piecemeal (or not at all in the case of the left-flank column)
*Some infantry counters are the wrong way up, showing the units as being at only two-strength - I corrected this before making the AI's turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment