Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Battle of Roliça - Allied Playthrough: Turn Eight

Situation at the end of turn seven
My three dice are two 4s and 3. I reroll the 3 and one 4, getting another 3 and another 4.
The one-strength infantry could form square to protect themselves from the French cavalry, but that would reduce their offensive capability, so instead I order them to fire at the cavalry. They get two dice, and I roll 6 and 1, reducing the cavalry to two-strength.
My area 4 infantry move into trees. They cannot fire at the cavalry, who are not in their line of sight, and so fire at the one-strength French infantry. Their three dice are reduced by one for firing after moving, and I roll 3 and 2. The area 4 cavalry advance through the gap between my two advanced infantry units.
My flank attack has not made fast-enough progress, it would seem
The AI's four dice are two 6s, 5 and 3. The 6s are rerolled, giving another 6 and a 2.
The French cavalry roll 5, and so attack my infantry in the trees. Two-strength cavalry attacking infantry get five dice (a good reason for putting infantry in a square formation), minus one in this case because the infantry are in cover. The four dice are two 6s, 4 and 3, meaning my unit is reduced to a strength of one and retreats a hex. The one-strength French infantry roll 1, meaning they stay where they are. General Delaborde also stands pat.
Both French infantry units in area 3 have enemy cavalry within three hexes, and so form square, which I have shown by adding green beads. Neither can fire as they have high ground between them and the only enemy unit within range, my rearward horse. It is obvious the infantry in the objective hex do not have line-of-sight, but the other unit also cannot sight the cavalry because of the 'plateau effect'.
The French infantry brace themselves for cavalry attacks over the next two turns (I have already moved on the turn counter)

No comments:

Post a Comment