Saturday, July 01, 2023

First Newbury Play-Through: Turn Two

Situation at the end of turn one
My seven dice give me 6, four 4s and two 3s. I reroll the 4s, getting three more 4s and 2.
I have given move-dice to the right-flank units and the further-left pikes, and an attack die to the furthest-forward muskets, discarding the remaining, useless, attack-dice 
I start by moving the right-flank units to the right, and on the other flank charge the nearest Royalist cavalry.
Pikes need 7+, reduced by one thanks to support from a unit of muskets. I roll 7, demoralising the cavalry and forcing them back two hexes as their comrades occupy the hex immediately behind them.
My muskets which have an attack order have three possible targets, but would need 10+ to hit cavalry in trees, so they fire at the lowland pikes, needing 8+, but I roll 7.
The artillery fire at my muskets, but thanks to firing through trees need 9+ and only roll 8.
The left-flank Royalist horse, endeavouring to get at my right-flank muskets, move directly forward two hexes.
The right-flank undemoralised horse charge my furthest-forward muskets, needing 6+, rolling exactly 6, demoralising the musketeers.
The demoralised Royalist horse fail to rally and so flee the battlefield.
The left-flank Royalist muskets stand still, but the other two units of musketeers advance to their right.
Only the rearmost Royalist pikes advance.
The Parliamentarians have barely swung into action, but have the Royalists advanced too quickly?

No comments:

Post a Comment