Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Battle of Roliça - Allied Playthrough: Turn Nine

Situation at the start of turn nine
My three dice are 5, 4 and 1. I reroll the 1, but get another 5.
The cavalry in area 5 rush onto the hill, and Wellesley moves towards the hill. The infantry cannot fire at the French cavalry because the target is not within their arc-of-fire.
My other cavalry also rush onto the hill, from where they attack the infantry in the objective hex. Full-strength cavalry attacking infantry get six dice, increased by one here for being on higher ground, but reduced by three because the French are in square formation. My dice give me 4, 3, 2 and 1, which has no effect because infantry in square formation never retreat. The three-strength infantry in area 4 enter the trees and charge the French cavalry. Their three dice are increased by one thanks to attacking at a range of one hex after moving. The four dice are two 4s and two 1s, meaning the horse retreat onto the hill and then lose a strength point as they cannot make a second retreat move.
Will the squares, specifically the one in the objective hex, hold?
Before playing the AI's turn, I want to mention two modifications I intend implementing for infantry in square formation.
Under the rules such infantry suffer a -1 modifier when firing at a range of two or three hexes. This seems inadequate to me, and I am increasing it to -2.
But, as far as I can see, infantry in square are restricted to the same arc-of-fire as infantry in normal formation, which seems wrong as they should be able to fire all-round, which is what I am changing the rule to, not that I expect either rule change to apply in this game.
Anyway, the AI's four dice are 3, 2 and two 1s. One 1 is rerolled, giving a 4.
The one-strength infantry on the hill fire at my infantry in trees, getting two dice, increased by one for being on higher ground and another one for being next to the commander, but reduced by one for the target being in cover. The dice come up 5, 3 and 2, taking a strength point off my men. General Delaborde remains where he is.
The French cavalry attack my left-flank cavalry, getting two dice (the French unit is at one-strength). Two 2s are rolled. The full-strength infantry on the hill remain in square formation, while the infantry in the objective hex attack my left-flank cavalry. Their three dice are two 6s and a 2, reducing my men to a one-strength.
It is going to take some impressive dice-throwing to pull off an allied victory

No comments:

Post a Comment