Monday, July 17, 2023

Battle of Roliça - Allied Playthrough: Turn Seven

Situation at the end of turn six
My three dice are 4, 3 and 1. I keep the 4 but reroll the others, getting another 4 and another 3.
I start by advancing the three-strength infantry in area 4 into the trees so they can fire at the two-strength French on the hill. My four dice are reduced by one for firing after moving. I roll 6 and two 2s, reducing the French to a one-strength unit. My two-strength infantry advance obliquely to their left and fire at the three-strength French on the hill. Two-strength infantry firing at infantry get three dice, reduced by one here for firing after moving, and I disappointingly roll 3 and 1.
The left-flank horse advance two hexes to behind the infantry units who have just moved and fired.
Time may turn out to be the allies' biggest obstacle
The AI rolls two 5s, 3 and 1. One 5 is rerolled, giving a 2, meaning every French unit will be activated.
Artillery can only fire along a direct line of hexes, so, having no target, they roll a die, but 1 means no movement. The cavalry roll 6, moving two hexes obliquely towards my two-strength infantry.
The one-strength infantry fire at my infantry in the trees (tiebreaks favoured this target over the two-strength infantry in the open). One-strength firing at infantry roll two dice, increased by one through being on higher ground and another one for being adjacent to General Delaborde, but reduced by one thanks to the trees. The dice land 4, 3 and 1, forcing my infantry obliquely backwards a hex (direct retreat was blocked by cavalry). Delaborde has no move.
The three-strength infantry on the hill fire at my two-strength infantry. Their four dice are increased by one thanks to being on higher ground and one more for being next to the commander. The result is 6, 4 and four 3s, reducing my unit to one strength and sending it back a hex. The infantry in the objective hex roll 2, and so stand still.
The French are outnumbered but only have to hold out three more turns

No comments:

Post a Comment