Sunday, October 29, 2023

Battle Of Vimeiro - French Playthrough: Turn Two

Situation after turn one
My activation dice land 6, 4 and 2. I reroll the 2, getting another 6. I turn the wildcard 6s into 3 and 5, meaning the whole French army can be activated this turn.
First I advance the troops in area 3, none of which can fire (the artillery are in range of Allied cavalry, but guns cannot move and fire in the same turn).
In area 4 I advance the backward infantry and Junot. Then the other infantry advance and fire at the Allied infantry on the hill opposite them. The four dice are reduced for firing after moving, and I roll a disappointing 3 and two 2s.
I advance the cavalry to behind Maceira.
The village of Vimeiro is temptingly open, at least for now*
The AI gets two 6s, 4 and 3 as activation dice. The 6s are rerolled as 3 and 1.
The infantry in area 1 move straight down.
The infantry in area 3 advance towards Vimeiro, while the cavalry advance two hexes towards the nearest enemy, ie my artillery. The Allied artillery cannot move as its its instruction was only to do so if the result was to be landing on a hex in range and line-of-sight of the enemy.
The forward infantry in area 4 fire at my men opposite them. Their four dice are increased for being on higher ground, and they roll 4, 3, 2 and two 1s, sending my unit back a hex. The other infantry in area 4 advance and fire at my infantry opposite them (they prefer this target over my artillery). Their four dice are decreased for firing after moving and for being in a river hex. They roll 4 and 1, which reduces my unit to two-strength as it had nowhere to retreat. Wellesley advances to be in touch with three of his more-advanced units.
The Anglo-Portuguese are not advancing in unison, but nevertheless look menacing, although the central wedge of the army could be in for a shock next turn*
*Note that I forgot to advance the turn counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment