Thursday, October 12, 2023

Battle Of Vimeiro - Second Allied Playthrough: Turn Five

Situation after turn four
My activation dice are 4, 2 and 1. I reroll the 2 and 1, getting 5 and a wildcard 6, which I turn into a 3.
My infantry in area 4 fire at the cavalry in Vimeiro. Their three dice are increased for being on higher ground and for being adjacent to Sir Arthur Wellesley, but reduced for the target being in cover. I roll 5, two 4s and 3.  The 5 reduces the French to two-strength. The tiebreakers for which way to retreat do not resolve the issue, eg the first tiebreaker is to choose the hex that puts them in range and line-of-sight of the enemy. I assume "range" means firing range, which cavalry do not have, and they have line-of-sight of Allied units whichever way they fall back. A random die throw decides the issue, and their first retreat is obliquely to their right, which means the second retreat is also obliquely right. My cavalry in area 4 withdraw two hexes obliquely right to be out of charging distance of French infantry, and Wellesley falls back behind the infantry on the hill.
The forward infantry in area 3 advance and fire at the cavalry opposite them. Their three dice are reduced for firing after moving, and they roll 2 and 1. The middle infantry advance and fire in a similar manner, also rolling 2 and 1. The remaining infantry advance.
I think the odds are still against the Allies, but I am doing being better than in my previous playthrough of this scenario
The AI's activation dice are two 6s, 5 and 4. The 6s are rerolled, becoming 1 and another 6.
The right-flank French cavalry roll 5, but since we are not past turn five that has no effect.
The forward infantry in area 4 fire at my left-flank infantry, rolling three 5s and 3, eliminating my unit. The other infantry in area 4 move towards Vimeiro, and the artillery again cannot move because of line-of-sight issues.
The forward infantry in area 5 roll 6, meaning they should move towards the nearest enemy. My cavalry and right-flank infantry are equally near and equally furthest up, but a random die-throw picks the infantry, which means the French climb Vimeiro Hill and fire at my cavalry (they prefer firing at cavalry rather than infantry). Their three dice are reduced for firing after moving, and they roll two 3s. The other infantry in area 5 roll 2, meaning they advance vertically towards Vimeiro.
The French have a foothold on Vimeiro Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment