Saturday, October 07, 2023

Summing Up My Allied Playthrough Of The Battle Of Vimeiro

THE scenario looks daunting from the start, but why did it go so disastrously wrong?
Certainly I feel I was unlucky with my dice throwing, especially when it came to rolling for areas in which troops could be activated.
But I have to admit my plan was faulty from the start.
Firstly I spread my army across four areas, and they soon entered a fifth, making it impossible to activate every unit in a single turn.
I think my plan of occupying Vimeiro Hill and attacking from there is a correct one, but my method of execution was very poor.
I should never have left my artillery, and a unit of infantry to guard them, on my left flank.
And I should have set up with all six units crowded into areas 3 and 4, making it much more likely I would be able to get them moving quickly.
Inevitably this would mean the bulk of the French being pulled to their left to counter my troops, but then they would get in each other's way, even more than they did in the battle.
I am so convinced it was my faulty planning that cost me the battle - much more than any imbalance in the scenario - that I intend immediately refighting it.
Meanwhile the AI leads our series 3-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment