Monday, October 30, 2023

Battle Of Vimeiro - French Playthrough: Turn Three

Situation after turn two (note that I forgot to move on the turn counter)
My activation dice give me 4 and two 2s. I reroll the 2s and get 6 and 5. By turning the wildcard 6 into a 3, I get to activate my whole army.
My artillery fire at the cavalry in front of them. Their two dice are increased by two for firing at short range and one for being on higher ground. I roll two 6s, 5, 3 and 2, eliminating the Allied unit. My forward infantry in area 3 fire at the infantry opposite them, their four dice being increased for being on higher ground. I roll 5, two 4s, 2 and 1, reducing the Allied unit to two-strength and sending it back to the river. The other infantry in area 3 move back obliquely to the edge of the hill, anticipating the approach of the right-flank Allied infantry.
My infantry on the hill in area 4 fire at the infantry opposite them. Their three dice are increased for being on higher ground and for being next to General Junot. However I roll a disappointing two 3s, two 2s and 1. The other infantry in area 4 advance a hex and fire at the infantry opposite them, their four dice being reduced for firing after moving. I roll 6, 4 and 1, reducing the enemy to two-strength and forcing them back a hex. Junot moves obliquely forward to his left.
My cavalry occupy Maceira.
The French are keeping in a disciplined formation
The AI gets two 4s, 2 and 1 as its activation dice. A 4 is rerolled, but lands 6.
The forward infantry in area 1 roll 5, meaning they advance obliquely towards the nearest enemy. This puts them above Vimeiro, from where firing is prevented because their line-of-sight is blocked. The other infantry in area 1 roll 3, meaning they move straight down, continuing their outflanking manoeuvre.
The cavalry cannot move as they roll 5, which only has an effect after turn 5. The infantry in area 2 advance.
The forward infantry in area 4 fire. They prefer firing at infantry over cavalry and artillery, and the tiebreak is for the unit nearer Vimeiro. Their four dice are increased for being next to Sir Arthur Wellesley, but decreased for being in a river hex. They roll 6, two 4s and 2, reducing my two-strength infantry to one-strength, but the unit does not retreat as it is adjacent to the commander. The other infantry in area 4 advance and fire at the infantry opposite them (a preferred target over the equally near cavalry). Their three dice are increased for being on higher ground, but decreased for firing after moving, and they come up 4 and two 2s, forcing my infantry back a hex.
Early turns have favoured the French

No comments:

Post a Comment